Welcome to The North Lonsdale Agricultural Show
Horse & Pony Classes
Rules of the Society
1. The Society shall be called “THE NORTH LONSDALE AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY”, having for its objects the encouragement of the breeding and rearing of livestock and the development of agriculture generally.
2. The Society’s District shall comprise the Hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, i.e. the part that was Lancashire between the Rivers Winster and Duddon.
3. The Society shall consist of a President, Vice-Presidents, Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Trustees, Honorary Veterinary Surgeon, Treasurer, Honorary Solicitor, Life Members, Management Committee, Members and a paid Secretary.
4. Every subscriber of £12 a year and upwards shall be a member of the Society and of £20 and upwards a Vice-President.
5. The affairs of the Society shall be conducted by the Management Committee consisting of such Life Members as shall subscribe not less than £12 a year, and Elected Members not exceeding forty two in number. No subscriber of less than £12 a year shall be eligible as an Elected Member of the Management Committee. Elected members of the Management Committee will serve for a period of three years, one third of the members retiring each year. Retiring members will be eligible for re-election. Vacancies occurring due to the resignation of a member who served for less than three years will be filled for the period remaining only. Chairman and Vice-Chairman of Sub Committees to be Ex Officio Members of Management Committee.
6. The Annual General Meeting of the Society shall be held each year on a date fixed by the Chairman and Secretary, being not later than the end of February and not less than seven days notice thereof shall be given. At this meeting the President and Vice-Presidents, Chairman Vice-Chairman, Trustees, (when necessary), Honorary Officers, Management Committee, Secretary, Bankers and Auditors shall be elected and Life Members may be appointed in recognition of services rendered by them to the Society. The retiring Chairman shall be eligible for re-election annually to that office for three consecutive years but not eligible in the year following the three consecutive years as chairman.
7. The Accounts for the past year, duly audited, with the Auditor’s Report (if any), shall be submitted to the Annual General Meeting.
8. The Annual Meeting for the exhibition of Stock, the awarding of prizes, and other business connected therewith shall be held at such place and on such date as the Management Committee may appoint.
9. The Management Committee shall have the power to offer such prizes as they may think best calculated to benefit the interest of Agriculture generally, especially in promoting the improvement of stock, and shall make such Show Regulations regarding competition as they may consider necessary which shall in effect be as binding as these Rules, provided, they be in no way at variance therewith.
10. A special General Meeting may be called by the president, the Management Committee, or by the Secretary upon the receipt of a requisition in writing stating its object signed by twelve members.
11. Any member wishing to propose a new rule, or alter or rescind a rule, must, give written notice thereof to the Secretary at least a month previous to the Annual General Meeting at which it is to be considered.
Show Regulations 2011
1 The Show will be held on Wednesday the 27th July, and entries shall close on Friday the 8th July (except where otherwise stated).
2 “Open classes” shall be open to the United Kingdom. “Local classes” shall be open only to exhibitors residing within the Society’s district.
3 All entries must be made on the Society’s printed forms, and the entry fees paid at the date of entry. The management committee may refuse to accept any entry without stating a reason. No entries will be taken by telephone.
4 The Society will not in any case, or under any circumstances, hold itself responsible for any loss, damage, misdelivery, illness or accident that may occur through or to any exhibit, and it shall be a condition of entry that each exhibitor shall hold the Society harmless and indemnify it against any legal proceedings arising from any of the before mentioned circumstances.
5 All stock and produce entered for competition must be bona-fide property of the exhibitor and in his possession on his premises in the Society’s district at least one month prior to the show and remain his bona-fide property until after the show. An exhibitor who is found to have broken this rule shall be disqualified from receiving or retaining any prize money and/or award and, if already paid or presented, must return the same to the secretary on demand.
6 Any person shall on entering a protest against a prize-winner deposit with the secretary £1.00 except protest from owners of horses and ponies which shall be a deposit of £20.00 which shall be forfeited to the Society in case the Management Committee decided the protest to be frivolous. Each protest must be made in writing to the secretary as soon as possible, preferably before the Parade of Prize-winners, but in any case within seven days of the Show Day. The decision of the Management Committee shall in every case be final.
7 If any exhibitor or his servant or other person in charge of an animal shall refuse to obey the directions of any member of the Management Committee or the secretary, such animal shall be disqualified from competing and, if it has been awarded a prize, the prize shall be liable to be forfeited.
8 The money prizes shall be paid on show day.
9 Collector’s books shall be handed to the secretary within one week after the date of the show.
10 No cattle may take more than one “class” prize, excepting the Presidents prize.11 The charge for vehicles on the field will be: Ringside £10 each.
12 All exhibits shall be on the show field not later than 9.45 am., except horses in saddle, which shall be on the field not later 15 minutes before their classes are due. Stock shall not be removed from the show ground before 3.00 pm.
13 The Committee will use due care to see that Exhibits are taken into the ring for competition, but the onus of presenting any Exhibit in the ring remains with the Exhibitor.
Notice to Horse & Pony Exhibitors
1. Please Check the time-table
2. Late entries for the Horse section taken on Show Day will pay double.
3. Entries will only be accepted if accompanied by the full entry fee which is not returnable for withdrawal after the closing date of entry. Entries will close on Friday 8th July but postal entries bearing this date will be accepted as in time
4. The Committee can not be held responsible for injury to competitors or their horse. The Committee reserves the right to remove any animal which in its opinion is a danger to other competitors and to increase or decrease the number of competitors according to the time available.
5. Rosettes awarded to fourth place.
6. All Cups and Trophies are to be held for one year.
7. The Secretary will NOT acknowledge the receipt of entries.
8. All exhibitor numbers are to be collected from the Secretary’s Tent on Show Day.
9. All horses and ponies entering the show field must have a valid passport with them
10. All stallions must be bitted and handled by an adult.
11. Hard hats (current standard) must be worn at all times when mounted and secured by chin straps
12. No spurs to be worn except in classes 94, 95, 96, 113 and 120